Banana Leaf Wrapped Halibut (from Episode 426)
4 cups day-old rice
1 small zucchini, very thinly sliced on bias (use Japanese mandoline if you can)
4 six-ounce pieces center-cut halibut
4 12x10 pieces of banana leaf or oiled parchment paper
1/2 cup Garlic-Ginger-Soy Syrup
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grapeseed or canola oil
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large sauté pan coated with oil over high heat, sear halibut on one side until a crust forms, about 2-3 minutes. Remove halibut to a plate.
2. Lay out the banana leaves and place 1 cup rice in center of each leaf. Drizzle a little Garlic-Ginger-Soy Syrup over rice, top with a few zucchini slices and drizzle more Syrup.
3. Place fish on zucchini and top with more syrup. Wrap the packages tightly by folding over the long ends of the banana leaf and tucking the short ends underneath. Use a length of the tough edge of the banana leaf to tie the bundle.
4. Place bundles on sheet tray and bake in oven for about 12-15 minutes.
5. To serve, place banana leaf package on plate and open tableside with scissors. Drizzle Garlic-Ginger-Soy Syrup over the fish, and enjoy.