Braised Shortribs with Root Vegetables (from Episode 512)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chile powder
6 one-bone shortribs or 3 two-bone
2 onions, cut into 1-inch dice
1 bag carrot nubs
6 ribs celery, cut into1-inch dice
1 celeriac, cut into 1-inch dice
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1-inch dice
1 large parsnip, cut into 1-inch roll cut
Juice of 4 oranges, peel of 1
2 star anise
1 tablespoon naturally brewed soy sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Canola oil for cooking
Crusty bread for serving
1. In a pie plate, combine flour and chile powder. Season short ribs and coat in flour mixture.
2. In a pressure cooker pot over medium heat coated lightly with oil, brown the coated shortribs, about 4 minutes per side, and set aside.
3. Wipe out pot and coat with oil. Add onions, season and sweat down. Add the carrots, celery, celeriac, potato and parsnip. Season and saute for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add shortribs, orange juice and peel, star anise, naturally brewed soy sauce and water to almost cover.
5. Season and check for flavor. Place cover on and lock and cook over medium-high heat for 60-90 minutes.
6. Carefully release steam and serve in a large bowl with crusty bread.