Caramel Macadamia Nut Crunch
These fabulous cookies contain a rich brittle made with macadamias.
Makes 20 cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 pound macadamia pieces, or whole nuts, roughly chopped
1 chilled log of Butter Shortbread Cookie Dough
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a baking sheet, preferably rimmed.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and 1/2 cup of water. Heat over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer, about 3 minutes. Cover the pan and continue to simmer, allowing steam from the cooking mixture to wash down the sides of the pan. Remove the cover and continue to simmer until the mixture turns golden, 7 to 8 minutes. Immediately remove from the stove, and, to avoid letting the mixture bubbling over, carefully pour the cream in a slow, steady stream into the pan; do not stir. Return the pot to the stove, reduce the heat to low, and, using a wooden spoon, gently stir the mixture until the cream is completely incorporated.
- Transfer the caramel to a medium bowl, add the nuts, and stir to coat the nuts evenly. Transfer the mixture to a the baking sheet, spreading it evenly, and bake until dark brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool the brittle to room temperature and chop it mixture coarsely using a food processor, or a cleaver, or by hand.
- Cut the log of dough into 20 12-inch rounds, press one cut side of each round into the brittle, and arrange the rounds 2 inches apart on all sides on a parchment-lined or nonstick cookie sheet or sheets.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the cookies with a spatula