Grilled Asian Pesto Shrimp and Radicchio
This easy dish pairs grilled radicchio with shrimp that's been marinated in Asian Pesto and also grilled. The slight bitterness of the radicchio is a wonderful foil for the rich, spicy shrimp and makes the dish a light but savory treat. I particularly enjoy it in summer. It's a great example of how simple ingredients can be transformed when the seasoning's right-and it's a great incentive for having Asian Pesto on hand.
Grill the radicchio and shrimp outdoors, or use a grill pan or heavy skillet.
1 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil, for coating the pan, if using
12 extra-large (10- to 15-count) shrimp, peeled (but tails left on), deveined,
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1⁄2 cup Asian Pesto, plus additional for garnish
1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium heads of radicchio, halved
- Prepare an outdoor grill, heat to hot, and spray the grid with nonstick cooking oil. Alternatively, heat a grill pan or heavy sauté pan over high heat. If using a sauté pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Meanwhile, season the shrimp lightly with salt and pepper, rub with the pesto, and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Grill the shrimp on both sides until just cooked through, 2 minutes per side. Set aside, keeping the shrimp warm.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar with the olive oil in a small bowl. Brush the radicchio on all sides with the mixture and season with salt and pepper. Place the radicchio cut side down on the grill and grill until charred, about 3 minutes. Turn and repeat, about 3 minutes more.
- Halve the radicchio, core, and arrange 2 wedges on each serving plate. Surround with the shrimp, garnish the plate with the additional Asian Pesto, and serve.
WineGrape type: Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Sylvaner, Müller Thurgau, Sémillon, Chardonnay, Muscat
Characteristics: Complex, lively mouth feel, food friendly, well-balanced
Recommendations: Sokol Blosser Evolution, American Cuvée