Michael Schlow's Ginger-Fuji Apple Chutney
1 tablespoon fennel
2 tablespoons Szechwan peppercorns
½ a cucumber
kosher salt to taste
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
a pinch of sugar
3 ¾ ounces tuna
- Toast fennel and Szechwan peppercorn for 1minute in a dry skillet over medium heat.
- Slice cucumber into five rounds, an 8th of an inch thick and season with kosher salt, rice wine vinegar and pinch of sugar. Allow to marinate for about 2 minutes.
- Grind spices (coarsely) in coffee grinder.
- Heat sauté pan (very hot) with 1 oz. of canola oil in pan.
- Brush tuna with salt and spice mixture and sear on all sides for 10 seconds in the sauté pan.
- Slice the very end off of tuna to allow the steam to escape and chill tuna in refrigerator.
- Slice tuna in 5 slices (3 quarters of an ounce each).
- Drain the five slices of cucumber and place them in the center of serving plate. Place one slice of tuna on each cucumber and spoon a thin line of ginger-Fuji Apple Chutney across the top of the tuna and serve.