Shallot-Soy Marinated Chicken Breast with Melted Cabbage
Vinaigrettes can always double as marinades because their vinegar helps tenderize as well as flavor meats. This dish takes advantage of that fact to produce a deliciously moist roasted chicken breast. Actually, the part of the dish I love most is the melted cabbage. Growing up, I often ate cabbage steamed, braised, and stir-fried-methods that reduced the vegetable to luscious softness. In this recipe, cabbage is treated in just that way. I guess you could call the melted cabbage my version of mashed potatoes, as in the classic combo of chicken with mashed potatoes, which also inspired this dish.
4 large boneless chicken breasts with skin
1 cup Shallot-Soy Vinaigrette
1 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch of scallions, white and green part separated and thinly sliced
1 large head of napa cabbage, cored and cut into 1⁄4-inch slices
Juice of 1 lemon plus the zest, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken and the vinaigrette and toss to coat the chicken. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Heat a large, ovenproof sauté pan over high heat. Add the grapeseed oil and swirl to coat the pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, place in the pan skin side down, and sauté until brown, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and transfer, in the pan, to the oven. Roast until the chicken is cooked through, or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pricked with the tip of a knife in its thickest part, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes, then cut the breast diagonally into 1⁄4-inch slices.
- Meanwhile, in the same pan, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the scallion whites and sauté until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the cabbage is very soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the lemon juice and zest, stir, and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Mound the cabbage in the center of a large serving plate. Surround with the chicken slices, garnish with the scallion greens, and serve.