Ming's Pan Roasted Chicken with Black-Eyed Pea Risotto
2 cups black-eyed peas
Whole chicken, butterflied with breast bone removed
4 shallots, minced
4 cloves of garlic minced
6 jalapeno whole
12 okra whole
1 cup chèvre
½ cup carrots, minced
1 cup corn meal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbs plus 1 tsp paprika, separated
1 cup club soda
3 dashes hot sauce
2 cup chicken stock
Juice of 2 Meyer lemons
4 tbs canola oil plus oil for fryer
salt and pepper
8 toasted pecans
2 quarts canola oil for frying or adequate amount for your fryer
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 500° F and deep fryer to 350° F
1. Bring large pot of heavily salted water to boil. Add black-eyed peas and cook for 10 minutes. Strain peas and immediately plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. When peas are cool, remove from water and set aside.
2. Mix together in a bowl egg, corn meal, flour, salt and 1 tbs paprika. Whisk in club soda and hot sauce. Mix together until you have a pancake batter consistency. Add the jalapeno and okra to the tempura batter and toss to completely coat.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large oven proof skillet over medium high heat, add 2 tbs canola oil. When oil is hot, place chicken skin side down and cook for 4-5 minutes to sear and brown skin. Flip the chicken over and put into preheated oven for 7-10 minutes. When done, remove from oven and cut into quarters.
4. Meanwhile, in another sauté pan add 2 tbs canola oil. When oil is hot, add carrots, shallots and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Cook vegetables over medium heat until they are slightly soft, but not brown, 1-2 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas and juice of 1 ½ Meyer lemons.
5. To black-eyed pea mixture, add 3/4 cup chicken stock. Cook over a low simmer until stock has been mostly absorbed. Continue to add chicken stock in 1/2 cup increments, cooking until most of the liquid is gone and black eyed peas are soft, 7-8 minutes. To finish, add the Chèvre and mix together until creamy.
6. While chicken and risotto are cooking, remove okra and jalapenos from batter and place into hot fryer. Cook until golden brown, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on a dish lined with paper towels, season with salt.
7. To plate, spoon a serving of "risotto" into center, place piece of chicken on top. Sprinkle with paprika and remaining lemon juice. Serve with fried okra and jalapenos on the side.