Pan Seared Amberjack with Yuzu Sweet & Sour Sauce
2 cups polenta, coarse white
8 cups chicken stock, separated
Salt & pepper
3 tbs olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 cherry tomatoes, crushed
2 ears of corn, boiled and removed from cob, separated
2 pinches saffron
1 tbs vinegar
1.5 tbs sugar
1/2 cup white wine
2 tbs chili sauce
1 cup water
4 tbs olive oil
2 8oz. Amberjack Filets, skin on
3 tbs olive oil
juice of 2 yuzu fruit
1 cup popcorn
Sprigs parsley for garnish
1. Prepare a 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper placed on the bottom.
2. Warm a large stock pot over medium heat. Add polenta to dry pan and lightly toast for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Add 3 cups chicken stock to polenta and stir until it is completely mixed together. While still stirring the polenta, gradually add another 3 cups of chicken stock, one cup at a time, allowing for all stock to be absorbed. Bring to a boil. Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes, continuing to stir. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
3. When the polenta is cooked, pour it into the prepared baking dish, cover with a piece of parchment paper and then plastic wrap. Put in refrigerator to set up, preferably over night.
4. When firm, cut the polenta into rectangle pieces about 3 inches long by 1 inch wide.
5. In a fry pan, sauté shallot and garlic in 3 tbs olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 ear of corn, crushed cherry tomatoes and saffron, cooking for 1-2 minutes. Add 2 cups chicken stock. Cook for 10 minutes until tomatoes are soft. (Add water to the sauce as needed if liquid reduces too much). Salt and pepper to taste.
6. To fry pan, add sugar, vinegar, chili, white wine and reduce by 20%, approximately 5 minutes. When sauce has been reduced, strain into a small sauce pan, pressing down on solids to extract all liquid. Discard solids. Keep sauce warm over medium heat and add remaining corn. Whisk in 2 tbs olive oil.
7. Score the skin side of the fish. Season both sides with salt and pepper. In a hot pan, add 2 tbs olive oil and add fish filets, skin side down. Sear/cook fish approximately 3 minutes. Flip fish and cook another 3 minutes. Squeeze Yuzu juice over filets.
8. In the same pan as the fish, toast the cut polenta pieces on all sides, using additional olive oil as necessary.
9. To serve, spoon the warm corn sauce on one side of the plate and place the Amberjack on top. On the other side, place a piece of toasted polenta and garnish with popcorn and parsley.