Eggs en Cocotte with Salmon Tataki
5 eggs plus 4 yolks
8 oz salmon fillet
1.5 cups heavy cream
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 star anise
1/2 cup panko crumbs
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons butter
minced chives for garnish
fleur de sel finishing salt
Serve with brioche toast points
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare bain marie using deep roasting pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together 5 eggs and cream until well blended. Divide equally into four 1/2 cup ceramic ramekins. Place star anise on top of egg mixture.
3. Place ramekins in bain marie, cover, and transfer to oven. Cook for 15 minutes. Mixture will still be fairly loose.
4. Remove bain marie from oven, carefully place yolks into center of each ramekin. Recover and place bake in oven and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, season the salmon fillet with salt and pepper. Combine the panko and sesame seeds in a bowl and coat all sides of the fillet.
6. Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat, add butter, melt and cook to a golden brown.
7. Add salmon to pan and quickly sear, roughly 10-15 seconds per side, only enough to cook the panko crumbs. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
8. Slice salmon into 1/4 inch pieces and divide on 4 plates. Season with fleur de sel. Place a ramekin on each plate and garnish with chives. Serve with toasted brioche points.