Grilled Elk Steak Tacos with Chanterelle-Corn Salsa
2 Elk Flank Steaks
1/4 cup canola oil (cold pressed from Canada)
3 tablespoons juniper berries, crushed
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1/4 small red onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 ears fresh corn, shucked with husk and stem removed
1 pint mixed cherry tomatoes, diced
4 jalapeno peppers
1 pound chanterelle mushrooms
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cups red cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup fennel, shredded
kosher salt, fresh pepper
Fresh Tortillas, brushed with canola oil, toasted lightly on grill
1. Trim elk flank steak of any excess fat or sinew. Combine marinade ingredients together. Place steak with marinade in a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
2. Pre heat grill. Season and oil corn and place on grill, turn occasionally until charred brown. Place Jalapeño on grill and brown skin.
3. Clean and trim chanterelles, sauté in hot pan until lightly brown, deglaze pan with rice vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
4. Slice off corn kernels from stem and place in a large bowl. Peel, de-seed and chop jalapeños and combine with corn kernels, chanterelles and tomatoes in same bowl. Add chopped cilantro and toss with oil and vinegar. Adjust seasoning.
5. Place cabbage and fennel in large bowl. Season with salt, pepper.Toss and set aside.
6. Remove steak from marinade, season with salt and pepper and place on hot grill. Sear for approximately 3 minutes on each side, remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
7. Lightly oil tortillas and quickly grill on both sides.
8. Assemble the tacos by first putting shredded cabbage and fennel on tortillas, add sliced steak and top with salsa and cilantro leaves.