Mushroom Bulgur Beef Burger
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoons minced ginger
1 tablespoons minced garlic
½ red onion, 1/4 –inch dice
2 Portobello mushrooms, gills removed, sliced
3 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
½ cup fruit vinegar
1 pound ground beef
¾ cup cooked bulgur wheat
¼ Napa cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
¼ cup basil chiffonade
4 scallions, sliced thin, greens only
1 tablespoon organic soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4 whole wheat pita bread loaves
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the canola oil. Then add the ginger, garlic, and onion. Cook for about a minute then add the mushrooms. Add ¼ cup of the fruit vinegar. Season and cook about five minutes until softened. Cool the mushroom mixture.
2. With your hands, combine the cooled mushroom mixture with the ground meat and cooked bulgur. Form four patties, making an indent in the center with your thumb.
3. Season the burgers and cook in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for three and a half to four minutes per side or longer if desired for medium (130-140°F).
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the Napa cabbage, basil, scallions, soy sauce, remaining ¼ cup fruit vinegar, and sesame oil. Season and adjust if necessary.
5. To build the burger: place the cooked burger on the pita bread, top with the Napa cabbage slaw and serve.
Harpoon IPA Beer