New Style Tuna Sashimi with Curry Oil Flash
4 2-ounce sushi grade tuna fillets
Fleur de sel or regular sea salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped chives
¼ cup Madras Curry Oil **
½ tablespoon finely julienned fresh ginger
**Madras Curry Oil
Makes ½ cup
1/2 cup Madras curry powder, toasted in a dry pan
Pinch of salt
2 cups canola oil
Soy Yuzu Syrup
makes 1/2 cup
1 cup soy sauce
2 tbl brown sugar
1 tsp yuzu juice
1 togorashi chile
Tempura Miatakes (garnish)
4 miatake florets
1 cup rice flour
1/8 tsp paprika
1. In a small bowl, combine the curry powder and salt with 1/8 to 1/4 cup water to make a loose paste. Whisk in the oil slowly, stirring. Allow the oil to stand for 1 hour to settle. Use the clear oil only.
2. In a small sauce pan, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar and yuzu juice. Add chile. Place over low-medium heat, reduce by about 50% until it's thick and syrupy.
3. Wrap each piece of tuna loosely in plastic film. Place on a work surface and using a meat pounder or mallet, pound the fish gently to about 1/8-inch thickness.
4. Unwrap the tuna and transfer each flattened fillet to a serving plate. Season the fish lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the chives. Drizzle each serving with about ½ teaspoon of the soy syrup in a zigzag pattern.
5. in a small bowl, mix the rice flour with soda water until a pancake batter is achieved. Fold paprika into finished batter.
6. Preheat a fryer or medium stock pot filled 1/3 with canola oil to 375 degrees. Dip mushroom pieces into batter. Let excess drip off and then lower genty into hot oil. Fry until golden brown approximately 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season lightly with salt.
7. In a small skillet over high heat, heat the curry oil until very hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger, remove from the stove, and immediately spoon a bit of the oil over one portion of fish. The fish should sizzle when the oil hits it; if not, return the skillet to the stove, reheat the oil. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the hot oil over each portion and serve at once. Garnish each serving with tempura mushroom.