Sablefish with Herbs En Papillote
1 1/2 lb sablefish, cut into 4 6-ounce pieces
2 cups napa cabbage, sliced thin and chopped into 1" pieces
4 tablespoons fresh shiso, sliced thin
2" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and julienne sliced
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
2 tablespoons yuzu juice
4 teaspoons shio koji (salty fermented rice)
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400°F convection or 425° conventional.
2. Season the sablefish with salt and pepper.
3. In a medium sized glass bowl, add the shio koji, yuzu juice and canola oil. Mix together to form a "broken" vinaigrette. Add the cabbage and toss to well coat.
4. To assemble the packets: Cut a large square sheet of parchment paper. Lay down a thin layer (1/2 cup) of the cabbage mixture on the parchment paper on the third closest to you. Top with a piece of fish. Layer with 1 heaping tablespoon of scallions, then 8-10 slices of ginger and finish with 1 tablespoon shiso.
5. Pull the far end of the paper toward you to even up the edges. Starting at one end, make crimping tuck folds about ½-inch apart that tightly close the packet. Work your way toward the opposite end, making sure that the packet is well sealed so that steam won’t escape. At the end, fold one more time and then tuck the final piece under neatly. Finish all four packets. Lay them on a sheet tray and bake ten minutes until the parchment paper is puffed and light golden brown.
6. Transfer each packet to a plate and cut them open. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of soy sauce over each piece of fish. Serve immediately.