Salt and Pepper Head On Shrimp with Winter Melon
1 cups winter melon, cubed
1 pound fresh shrimp, head on, cleaned and deveined
1 cup pepper mixture (see below)
1 cup garlic chives, cut into 1" pieces
1 small jalapeno, sliced
2 tablespoons garlic
2 tablespoons ginger
Canola oil for cooking
yields 8 cups
1 cup black peppercorns, toasted
1 cup white peppercorns, toasted
1/2 cup green peppercorns, toasted
1/2 cup pink peppercorns, toasted
2 cups szechwan peppercorns
8 oz.rice flour
1/2 cup salt
1. Preheat deep fryer to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp and winter melon with the coating mixture. Shake off any access.
3. Transfer the shrimp and melon into the deep fryer. Flash cook for 1-2 minutes, until shells to turn red and curl. Drain and set aside.
4. In a large wok over medium-high heat, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the chives, garlic, ginger and jalapenos. Cook for 1-2 minutes to soften and become fragrant.
5. Add the shrimp and melon. Continue to stir fry for 1-2 minutes to bring all flavors together.
6. Transfer to a large platter and serve.
1. Combine all peppercorn types in a blender. Pulse to evenly grind.
2. In a separate bowl, add flour and salt. Sift peppercorn blend into flour, returning any large chunks back into blender for more grinding.
3. Mix throughly and store in tight container.