Scallops En Papillote a la Thai
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 large shallot, thinly sliced in rings
2 ½ cups long beans, ends removed, cut in one-inch pieces
1 heaping teaspoon sambal
1 heaping cup of thinly sliced cauliflower
4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 small pieces of banana leaf
28 lemon verbena leaves (small bunch)
2 cups cooked faro
1 pound large dayboat sea scallops, abductor muscle removed (U20-30)
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sambal
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
2 teaspoons lemon verbena roughly chopped
2 teaspoons Thai basil roughly chopped with stems
2 teaspoons dill, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F convection or 425° conventional.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons canola oil. Add the garlic, shallot and long beans and sauté until lightly colored and slightly softened, about two minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sambal and cook for a minute. Add cauliflower and cook another minute. The vegetables will finish cooking in the oven. Check the seasoning, remove from the heat and reserve.
3. On a large, square sheet of parchment paper, lay two banana leaf squares. Add four lemon verbena leaves, then ½ cup of the cooked farro and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a teaspoon of oil. Top with ¼ of the vegetable mixture.
4.Season six scallops with salt and pepper, place them on top of the vegetable mixture. Top with a ½ teaspoon vinegar, a scant teaspoon of olive oil and three small verbena leaves. Repeat with the three remaining packets.
5. Starting at one end, make crimping tuck folds about ½-inch apart that tightly close the packet. Work your way toward the opposite end, making sure that the packet is well sealed so that steam won’t escape. At the end, fold one more time and then tuck the final piece under neatly. Repeat for added insurance that it’s air-tight.
6. Place 4 completed packets on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until the parchment is puffed and lightly golden brown.
7. While the scallops bake, make the vinaigrette. Combine the garlic, sambal rice vinegar, oyster sauce, and chopped herbs. Drizzle in the olive oil and stir in the peanuts. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
8. When the packets are ready, remove from the oven and transfer to serving plates. Carefully cut the packets open at the table and top with vinaigrette.
Planeta Rose - SicilyColor: Soft pink with hot pink glints Bouquet: Pomegranate and wild strawberries with a background of flowery and tropical aromas Taste: Smooth and soft with well balanced acidity