Tea Smoked Ribeye with Asparagus-Mushroom Fricasee
2 8 oz. rib eye steaks, roughly 1" thick
1/2 cup ponzu
5 cloves black garlic, minced
1 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch asparagus, sliced in thirds, blanched & shocked
1/2 lb of chanterelle mushrooms, washed and sliced thin
1/2 cup white rice
1/2 cup black tea, like lapsang souchong
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 lb new potatoes, all colors
1/4 lb double smoked sockeye salmon, flaked into small pieces
3 tablespoons butter, separated
1 tablespoon duck demi glaze
juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Preheat deep fryer to 375 degrees.
2. Pour about 2 cups of salt onto clean cookie sheet. Sprinkle the cumin and coriander evenly over the top. Place the potatoes on the salt mixture (DO NOT ROLL). Roast in oven for 25 minutes until tender.
3. Line a large sauté pan or wok with foil. Mix jasmine rice, tea, and sugar together and spread evenly onto foil. Heat pan or wok over low-medium heat until tea mixture is smoking heavily.
4. Meanwhile, place steaks into a shallow baking dish. Pour ponzu evenly over meat. Season meat with freshly ground pepper. Let marinade sit for roughly 5 minutes (until the tea mixture begins smoking).
5. Transfer the steak into a bamboo steamer and place on top of the smoking tea mixture. Seal the pan with aluminum foil. Turn the heat down to low and hold for 5 minutes then shut off heat and hold for another 5 minutes.
6. When potatoes are done, remove from oven and brush off excess salt. Cool for 1 minute. With the palm of your hand, gently smash each potato to roughly 1/2" thick. Drop smashed potatoes into deep fryer and cook for 5 minutes. Exterior skin should be crisp, but the insides still soft. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
7. Remove meat from steamer, glaze both sides with a little canola oil and transfer to hot grill. Season again with ground pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove from heat and rest for 5-7 minutes
8. Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan over low-medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and add the black garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and asparagus. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft. Add duck demi glaze and 1 tablespoon butter to finish. Set aside over low heat
9. In a large mixing bowl, add cooked potatoes and flaked salmon. Drizzle lemon juice over. Toss to mix together.
10. When ready to serve, slice the steaks into thin strips. To plate, place potato-salmon mixture on center of plate. Spoon mushroom and asparagus mixture around outer edge. Place steak slices over top. Drizzle steak with squeeze of lemon.
Laughing Stock PortfolioBritish Columbia: Nose of dark dried berries, cedar and a hint of clove. On the palate, black cherry and bramble with anise and thyme notes. More elegant in body from the cooler vintage, it has a great structure and long finish.