Jasper White's Mussels with Ginger and Cream
3 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed & de-bearded
3 tablespoons grated (micro-plane) fresh ginger (big thumb-size piece)
3 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
2 limes – peels (no pith) from ½ lime / juice from both limes
1 cup heavy cream
½ can (13 oz can) coconut milk – about ¾ cup
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced very thinly
5 scallions, sliced thinly on bias
½ bunch cilantro, leaves and some stems - coarsely chopped
3 ears of corn, cooked and cut into 2 inch slices
Kosher or sea salt and Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
Canola oil for cooking
1. Heat a stockpot over a medium heat. Add oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add ginger and curry paste. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
2. Add the heavy cream and lime peels. Turn the heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
3. Add the mussels, stir and then cover. Cook for 3 minutes. Uncover, quickly stir and then cover again. Cook 3 minutes longer or until mussels are opened and the meats are firm. Remove from the heat. Using a spider, remove the mussels to individual bowls or one large bowl to serve family style. Cover to keep warm.
4. Return the pot to the heat and add the coconut milk, mushrooms and scallions. Bring to a boil and cook for about 1 minute to reduce the liquid a little.
5. Stir in the lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the broth over the mussels and sprinkle with cilantro. Garnish with corn slices. Serve immediately with a small fork and spoons.