Jonathan Taylor's Pork and Lobster Lollipops
1 lobster tail
1 pound lapchang (Chinese sausage)
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 bunch scallions, green part only sliced
2 large egg
1 cup rice flour
8 lemongrass stalks, trimmed and center cut into 6-inch length
1 medium carrot, grated
1/2 green cabbage, shredded
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into chunks
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon sambal oelek
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Fill a large, heavy-bottom pot half full with oil and heat to 375° F.
2. Fill a large bowl with water and add ice cubes. In a medium pot, blanch the lobster tail in boiling water for 30 seconds. Immediately submerge in ice bath. Remove shell from lobster meat and coarsely chop.
3. In a large bowl combine the lobster meat, lapchang, coriander, cumin, ginger, garlic, half of the scallion greens and eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Put rice flour in medium bowl and season with salt and pepper.
5. Press 3 ounces of sausage-lobster mixture around lemongrass stalk, leaving half of the stalk bare. Roll lollipop in rice flour to coat, shaking off excess flour. Repeat with remaining sausage-lobster mixture and lemongrass.
6. Fry lollipops in oil for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown and sausage is cooked through. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
7. In a medium bowl, combine carrot, cabbage, remaining scallions, rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon of canola. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Make mango puree: in a blender, combine the mango, lime juice, shallot, sambal oelek and process until smooth. With blender running, add 2 tablespoons of canola oil very slowly to create an emulsion.
8. To serve, spread the mango puree on serving platter, place a mound of cabbage slaw on platter, and top with lollipops.