Jonathan Waxman's Macadamia Duck with Roasted Vegetables
4 duck breasts, skin on (not scored)
1 bunch of pencil asparagus, bottoms trimmed
1 head of radicchio, quartered
6 cloves garlic, skin on
3/4 cups macadamia nuts
1 jalapeno, sliced
2 shallots, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, use microplane for pulp
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 1/2 teaspoons mirin
1 teaspoon Wan Ja Shan® naturally brewed organic soy sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Hawaiian pink sea salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil for cooking
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees for convection and 475 for conventional oven. Place a half sheet pan in oven to warm.
2. Season duck on both sides with Hawaiian pink sea salt and black pepper. Place on pre-heated sheet pan, skin side down for about 3 minutes. Add asparagus, radicchio and garlic to pan with duck. Continue to cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a saute pan over medium-high heat, add oil to coat and add macadamia nuts. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until nuts are toasted. Season with Hawaiian pink sea salt. Add jalapeno and shallots to the pan, cook for 2 minutes. Add ginger, lime juice, lemon juice, mirin, soy sauce and butter.
4. Remove duck from the oven and set aside. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan with the vegetables, return to oven and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
5. To serve, on a family size platter; place roasted vegetables on the platter. Slice the duck, lengthwise, on the bias. Place duck slices over vegetables, spoon nut sauce over the duck and vegetables. Enjoy!
Faustino VII RiojaPRODUCTION AREA
Grapes are harvested exclusively from Faustino estate vineyards in Spain’s Rioja region.
50% Tempranillo; 50% Garnacha
Ten months in oak casks, plus six months in bottle prior to release.
Color: Lively red, shading to ochre
Aroma: Hint of vanilla and ripe red berry fruit
Taste: Well-balanced, velvety, elegant