Tom Woods' Clam Chowder with Thai Flavors
3 tablespoons canola oil
5 shallots, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
5-inch finger of galangal, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 dried Thai bird peppers
1 lobster head, halved
½ disk palm sugar
5 cherry-stone clams
1½ quarts low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup cilantro leaves
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup Thai basil leaves
1 heaping cup bean sprouts
2 lobster claws, cracked
2 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 can of coconut milk
7 oz. rehydrated rice stick noodles (½ pack)
Hot chili oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large stockpot over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of canola oil and sweat the shallots, garlic and galangal. After about 1 ½ minutes, add the dried Thai bird peppers to bloom them. Add the lobster head and palm sugar.
2. When the aromatics have a little color on them, about 2-3 minutes total, add the clams, then the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer.
3. Cover the pot and cook until the clams open, about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the herb salad:
5. In a medium bowl, combine the cilantro, mint, Thai basil, and bean sprouts. Toss with the juice of one lime and remaining canola oil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Once the clams have opened, remove the lobster head and add the lobster claws, fish sauce, coconut milk, and the juice of 2 limes. Heat the ingredients through. Check and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
7. To plate: In a large bowl, add the rehydrated rice stick noodles, then, place the clams around the edge, ladling in the broth and lobster claws. Top with the herb salad. Drizzle with the hot chili oil and squeeze the remaining lime around the edge of the bowl. Serve immediately.
S.A. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett100% Riesling
Select grapes are hand-harvested in mid October and, following de-stemming and six hours of skin contact, ferment for nine weeks in stainless steel tanks. The resulting wine is bottled under Stelvin closure.
Color: Bright gold Aroma: Fresh and pleasantly fruity Taste: Flavors of lemon and peach against a mineral backdrop