Master Recipe Hot Water Dough
Important Message for Ziplist Users
2 cups water
4 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1. To make the dough, bring the water to a boil. In a large stainless-steel bowl, combine the flour and salt.
2. Slowly add the boiling water in ¼-cup increments, mixing with chopsticks until a ball is formed and the dough is no longer too hot to handle. All the water may not be needed.
3. Knead the dough on a floured work surface until it becomes smooth and elastic, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Form the dough into a ball, return it to the bowl, and cover it with a damp cloth. Allow the dough to rest for 1 hour.
To form the wrappers:
1. Add more flour to the work surface. Divide the dough in half.
2. Shape one portion into a log and roll it back and forth under your palms to make a thin sausage shape measuring about 1 inch in diameter. Cut into ½-inch pieces.
3. One by one, stand each piece on end, flatten the piece with your palm, and roll out to form a circular wrapper about 3 inches in diameter and 1/16 of an inch thick. Repeat with the remaining dough.