Tea Spiced Yanjing Braised Beef Short Ribs
Important Message for Ziplist Users
8 pieces short rib, double bone (about 3x4x2 inches each piece)
2 tablespoons lapsong suchong tea
4 large slices fresh minced ginger, peeled
3 tablespoons garlic, minced
3 yellow onions, roughly chopped
2 jalapeños, minced
2 bottles of YANJING BEER
½ cup naturally brewed soy sauce
1 cup rock sugar or brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup shelled edamame
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 tablespoons of Grapeseed or Canola oil to cook
Serve with a large bowl of hot steamed Jasmine rice
1. Season ribs on all sides with salt, pepper, and tea.
2. Heat a heavy-bottom pot or Dutch oven on high heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat.
3. When oil is hot add ribs to the pot, and sear until well colored on all sides, about 8 minutes. Remove from pan and set the ribs aside.
4. Reduce heat to medium high, clean pan out with paper towels. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add ginger, garlic, onions and jalapeños and saute until fragrant and onions have softened, about 3 minutes.
5. Deglaze the pot with Yanjing beer and reduce by half. Add soy sauce, rock sugar, bay leaf and add ribs back in. Add water to cover ribs and bring to a simmer. Check for seasoning. Place a cover ajar and simmer for 3-4 hours until ribs are tender and are just clinging to the bones.
6. Remove ribs to warm plate and cover.