Beef and Shiitake Satay with Mango Sauce
Important Message for Ziplist Users
There's nothing better for satays than a great dipping sauce, and this delicious beef goes with sweet-and-spicy mango salsa. You can prepare satays with just about anything: meat, seafood, and vegetables, alone or combined. The only key to success is making sure the various ingredients are cut so that they'll all be done at the same time.
You'll need four 4- to 5-inch wooden skewers for this, soaked in water for 20 minutes so they won't burn when grilled.
1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut diagonally against the grain into strips 4 incheslong and 1/4 inch thick
1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps halved
1 bunch of scallions, white and green parts, cut into 2-inch lengths
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup red wine
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup grapeseed or canola oil, plus 2 tablespoons for cooking, if needed
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
2 cups Spicy Mango Salsa
Kosher salt to taste
2 ripe mangos, halved, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the flank steak, shiitakes, scallions, soy sauce, red wine, sugar, 1/4 cup of the oil, and the teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, blend the salsa at high speed and drizzle in the remaining 1/2 cup of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make the satays, thread each skewer with a length of scallion, either white or green part, a shiitake half, a strip of flank steak secured in an "S" shape, a second piece of shiitake, and a second scallion length. They should touch fairly tightly.
- Prepare an outdoor grill and heat to hot, or preheat a grill pan or heavy sauté pan over high heat. Spray the grill grid with nonstick cooking spray, or add the 2 tablespoons of oil to the grill pan or sauté pan and swirl to coat. Cook the satays until the meat is medium-rare, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the dipping sauce to an attractive bowl, arrange the satays on a platter, and serve with the sauce
Mango and Papaya