Daniel Lindley's Roasted Pork Loin with Glazed Autumn Vegetables and Grits
Important Message for Ziplist Users
2 tbs cumin
2 tbs fennel seed
2 tbs mustard seed
2 tbs black peppercorns
2 tbs white pepper corns
6 tbs canola oil
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
1 korabi bulb, cored and quartered
2 cups pumpkin, de-seeded cut into 2-inch crescents
2 baby fennel bulbs, quartered, with core in
2 Jerusalem artichoke skin on, sliced
1 cup diced yellow onion
2 cups half and half
2 cups water
1 cup coarse white grits
1 apple, diced
2 tbs chives diced
4 tbs butter cubed, separated
2 12 oz. pieces of pork loin, trimmed and squared, leaving fat cap on one side
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup chicken stock
2 tbs sorghum
1 cinnamon stick
1 sprig rosemary
2 tbs tarragon
2 tbs butter
salt & pepper
Preheat an oven to 425° F.
1. Add cumin, fennel seed, mustard seed, black and white pepper corns into a dry sauté pan. Heat over medium heat until fragrant and lightly toasted, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Grind in a spice grinder until all elements are a fine consistency and evenly distributed.
2. Over medium heat, add 2 tbs canola oil to an 8-quart Dutch oven. When oil is hot, add the korabi, pumpkin, Jerusalem artichokes, fennel and sweet potato. Cook vegetables until slightly soft and start to caramelize/brown on all sides, 5-6 minutes. When vegetables are done remove from pot and set aside. Save the pot.
3. In a 2-quart sauce pan add 2 tbs canola oil, when oil is hot add the onion and cook over medium low heat until soft, 1-2 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Add water and half & half, bring to a simmer.. Using a whisk, add grits to pan stirring constantly. Over medium low heat, keep stirring until the grits have absorbed most of the liquid, 8-10 minutes. When grits are almost done add the apple and keep whisking. When grits are done add chives and 2 tbs butter, mix in well with a wooden spoon. Keep warm until ready to serve.
4. Avoiding the side with the fat cap, rub the pork loin with the toasted spice mixture on all the remaining sides. In the Dutch oven previously used for the vegetables, add 2 tbs canola oil and over medium heat, add the pork loin, fat side down, and render the fat for 6-7 minutes. Once rendering is complete, slightly brown the other 3 sides of the loin being careful not to burn the spice rub. Remove pork from pot and pour out the excess fat. Save the pot.
5. Increasing the heat to medium high, add the apple cider vinegar, chicken stock and sorghum to the Dutch oven to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes and reduce the amount of liquid by half. Add the cinnamon stick, rosemary, pork and caramelized vegetables. Cover and place in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove pork from the pot and put on a plate to rest for 5-8 minutes.
6. Add 2 tbs butter and tarragon to vegetables and braising liquid remaining in pot and stir.
7. Slice pork and place on plate. Serve with glazed vegetables and grits on the side. Drizzle braising liquid.