Johnny Hernandez Steak Taco, Tomatillo Salsa and Homemade Guacamole
Important Message for Ziplist Users
2 lb flank steak
4 lbs fresh masa
6 dried chile de Arbol peppers
3 jalapeno peppers
6 Serrano peppers
1 onion, minced
1 cup cilantro, chopped
8 garlic cloves
1 bunch scallions
1 avocado, diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
1. On a hot grill place scallions, jalapeno and Serrano chiles. Grill until just charred on all sides about 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
2. Using a Comal or a flat griddle over medium heat, add the tomatillo, dried chile de arbol peppers and garlic. Cook until tomatillo and garlic are soft, about 6-8 minutes.
3. Place all ingredients into a Molcajeta (mortar and pestle). Grind together, adding 2 tbs each of onion and cilantro until well mixed and broken down to almost smooth consistency. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, add avocado, 1/4 cup cilantro, juice of 1 lime wedge and diced tomatoes. Mix together and set aside.
5. To make tortillas, roll about 1/4 cup of corn masa into a ball for each tortilla. Using a tortilla press, place 1 piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper on the bottom of the press. Put the corn masa ball into the center of the press and place another piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper on top and press down until a tortilla is formed. Repeat this process until you have the desired amount of tortillas (6-8 should be enough). Note: If you can not find fresh corn masa, store-made soft corn tortillas are a good substitute.
6. Cook the tortillas on the Comal or flat griddle, about 1 minute per side until they are hot.
7. Season steak on both sides with sea salt. Place on the grill and cook until pink in the middle, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Dice steak into small pieces.
8. To assemble, place 2 tortillas on a plate, add the diced beef, guacamole, onion, cilantro and squeeze of a lime wedge. Serve with the grilled scallions, jalapeno and Serrano peppers on the side.