Ming's Cozido Das Furnace
Important Message for Ziplist Users
(Modified for use in 8-quart home slow cooker)
1 tbs paprika
1 lb pork belly cut into 1 inch strips
1 lb pork shank
1/2 whole chicken, cut into parts, spine removed
1 chorizo sausage link (4-5 inches) cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
1 large carrot peeled and roll cut
1 medium sweet potato halved and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium yam halved and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium potato halved and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 leek washed, halved and separated
1-2 hot peppers, jalapeno or Serrano, depending on your preference, sliced, no stems or seeds
1/2 Azorean mandarin or lime
2 tsp Wan Ja Shan soy sauce
1.5 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp honey
1/3 cup water
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 3-inch piece of ginger washed, unpeeled and cut into planks
1 2-inch piece cinnamon stick
1 laurel or bay leaf
2 tsp white peppercorn whole
2 tsp black peppercorns whole
1/2 head cabbage, cored and thin sliced for slaw
1/3 cup pineapple cut in 1" cubes
1 tsp pimente de terra or mild pepper sauce
1.5 Tbs olive oil
1. Season the pork belly with salt and place in a large bowl. Season the chicken and pork shank pieces with salt and then rub with paprika. Add them to the same bowl.
2. Add the chorizo pieces and all the vegetables on top of the meat. Squeeze the juice of the lime, adding the rind in as well.
3. Add the soy sauce, olive oil, water, honey, garlic, ginger, white/black pepper corns, laurel leaf and cinnamon stick.
4. Using your hands or large spoons, mix all of the ingredients together, evenly distributing all of the seasonings. Gently transfer all the contents from the bowl to the slow cooker. You may need to press the mixture down a little to fit.
5. Cover and cook on low heat (100 degrees) for 6-7 hours. When done, meat should be fork tender and falling off the bone.
6. Pineapple slaw: In a medium bowl, mix together the pepper sauce, olive oil, pineapple and cabbage. Refrigerate until Cozido is ready/
7. With a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked meat and vegetables onto a deep serving platter. Strain a portion of broth to serve alongside with pineapple slaw.