Pedro Oliviera's Cozido Das Furnace
Important Message for Ziplist Users
(Modified for use in 8-quart home slow cooker)
1 lb pork belly cut into large pieces
1 lb pork shank cut into large pieces
1/2 whole chicken cut into parts
1 spicy chorizo sausage, 4-5 inch link
1 blood sausage, 4-5 inch link
1 green cabbage, remove 2 outer layers (for wrap) and cut into 6ths core left in
1 large carrot, peeled and cut 1/2 inch coins
1 large yam, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
2 potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup water
1. Generously salt pork belly, pork shank and chicken pieces on all sides. Cover and refrigerate for 48 hours. Once complete, lightly rinse meat under cold water to remove any excess salt.
2. In a large slow cooker, place the cabbage pieces on the bottom of the pot, pressing down slightly to wedge into place. Next add all the pieces of pork shank, pork belly, chicken and chorizo, Again, pressing them down slightly to fit. Top with the vegetables.
3. Take the saved cabbage leaves and wrap them loosely around the blood sausage. Place this blood sausage "package" on top of all the other ingredients.
4. Sprinkle the water over the mixture.
5. Cover and cook on low setting (100 degrees) for 6-8 hours. Meat should be fork tender and falling off the bone.
6. To serve, using a slotted spoon, gently remove all of the items and place on a deep serving platter. Serve some of the remaining broth on the side.