7 oz. awase miso
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon shichimi togarashi
1/4 cup white sesame seeds, toasted
1 nagaimo (Japanese yam), peeled and sliced in 1/4" planks
1 3" piece of renkon (lotus root), peeled, sliced 1/4 inch coins
1 leek, white part only, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 small eggplant, stems removed, cut in half lengthwise
1 4" brick konnyaku (black and white, "Devil's Tongue") cut into 1/4 inch planks
1 4" piece of atsuage (thick fried tofu), cut in half
1 4" piece grilled tofu (firm), cut in half lengthwise
Sichuan pepper leaf, shichimi to garnish
1. Add miso, sugar and water in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Gently whisk the ingredients together and keep stirring until well blended.
2. Bring to boil. Add soy sauce. Turn heat to low and continue to whisk. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add shichimi and sesame seeds. Keep mixing it for another 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Set aside and keep warm.
1. In a large saute pan over medium heat, add a small amount of oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
2. In batches, sear all of the vegetables for roughly 5 minutes until a golden crust is formed. Flip and sear the second side the same way.
3. Transfer the cooked vegetables to a serving platter. Spread a thin layer of Baba's miso mixture on top. Garnish with Sichuan pepper leaf and a sprinkle of togarashi. Serve immediately.