Carrot Pasta with Grilled Carrot Salsa
Important Message for Ziplist Users
2½ cups carrot juice
2 corn cobs, husked
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick planks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus more to paint with
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped mint
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for rolling
1 large egg
1 tablespoon minced garlic (about two cloves)
2 tablespoon Greek yogurt plus more for garnish
pinch chili flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, reduce two cups of carrot juice by about 65 percent, about 15 minutes. Reserve.
2. Using a pastry brush, paint the corn cobs and carrot planks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill the vegetables over medium-high heat for three to four minutes per side, with some brown grill marks. Cut the kernels off the corn cob and cut the grilled carrot planks into kernel-sized pieces. Toss the vegetables in a medium bowl with the cumin, one tablespoon of each of the herbs and one tablespoon olive oil. Reserve.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour, a pinch of salt, and the egg on medium speed. After they are well mixed, add the remaining ½ cup of the carrot juice. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour, or if too dry, add a little more carrot juice.
5. Remove from the mixer, break off a small piece of dough and dust it with flour. Pass the dough through a pasta machine about 15 times on #1 thickness, two times on the #2 thickness, one time on the #3 thickness and one time on the #4 thickness.
6. Take the sheet of dough and dust with flour. If it’s long, cut in half. Hand-cut the pasta into wide noodles. Set aside on rack. Just before serving, in a large pot of boiled salted water, cook the pasta for 30 seconds to a minute until al dente.
7. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add the one tablespoon olive oil and the cook the garlic until aroma apparent, about 30 seconds. Add the reserved reduced carrot juice. Transfer the cooked pasta directly into the sauce. Stir in the Greek yogurt and season with chili flakes.
8. Divide the sauced pasta into 4 bowls. Top it with vegetable relish, a dollop of Greek yogurt and the remaining herbs.
Bertani Due Uve (Pinot Grigio/Sauvignon)Color: Pale straw, with lively green reflections Bouquet: Assertive and well-defined. Nuances of elderflower combined with hints of peach and apricot Taste: Medium-bodied and well-balanced