3 lobsters, 1¼ pounds each
1 pound dried fettuccini
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced in rings
3 cloves garlic –thinly sliced on mandoline
2 tablespoon turmeric
2 tablespoon curry powder
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ cup brandy
1 tablespoon fennel seeds, chopped
½ cup Riesling
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups trumpet mushroom (tubes halved and cut in large pieces)
½ bulb fennel, thinly sliced on mandolin, with a few fronds saved for garnish
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup roughly chopped parsley
1/8 cup whole walnuts
1. Break down the lobsters by cutting off the heads with a large chef’s knife. (Chop the heads and bodies and reserve for stock for another dish.) With the help of a cleaver, twist off the legs and remove the tails from the body. Remove the bands from the lobster claws. Slice the tails into smaller pieces, keeping the shell on.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the claws for about three minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and use the back of a cleaver to loosen the meat. Reserve the shells for stock and reserve the meat. Using the same water, add the fettuccini and cook until just al dente.
3. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, the shallot, garlic, lobster tail pieces. Cook a few minutes. Add the turmeric, curry, nutmeg, and the remaining olive oil to bloom the spices. Cook about two minutes. Add the brandy and flambé, reducing it until it’s almost dry.
4. Add the wine, stock, mushrooms and sliced fennel. Cook an additional eight minutes or so to let the sauce reduce. Add the reserved claw meat and cook an additional minute. Add the fennel seeds.
5. Transfer the cooked pasta directly from the pot into the saute pan, bringing along some of the pasta water. Add the butter and parsley and toss to incorporate.
6. Place the sauced noodles in a large serving dish and grate the walnuts over the dish and serve immediately. Garnish with fennel fronds.
S.A. Prum Essence RieslingColor: Pale gold
Aroma: Aromatic, with scents of apricot and peach
Taste: Fresh fruit flavors of pineapple and apricot are perfectly balanced by a racy acidity and mineral character