2 large leaves of kale, washed
1 cups of basil leaves (about half a large bunch), washed
1/3 cup pistachios – roasted
2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 plus ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup grated parmesan reggiano cheese
3 white nectarines, pitted and cut into about 10 slices
12 nasturtium leaves, stems removed and torn in half, if large
1/3 cup mint leaves, washed
1 ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Using a knife, remove the stems from the kale leaves. Slice a small amount of a leaf into a fine chiffonade (about ¼ cup). Place in a small bowl and combine with a generous pinch of salt. Reserve. Chop the remaining stemmed kale into large pieces.
2. In a large stock pot of boiling generously salted water (like sea water), blanch the kale leaves for about two minutes to soften, adding the basil leaves during final 10 seconds or until just tender. Remove to an ice bath, shock and drain well, wringing out the excess water.
3. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process the pistachios until finely ground.
4. Transfer the drained greens to the food processor. Add the garlic. Process, drizzling in the 2/3 cup of oil. Add more oil if not loose enough. Transfer to a medium bowl and fold in the cheese. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the nectarine slices, nasturtium leaves, mint, vinegar, remaining ¼ cup olive oil, and the reserved salted kale chiffonade. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. To plate, place about ½ cup of pesto diagonally on a large serving platter. Top with the nectarine salad.