1 cup minced garlic
4 tablespoons canola oil
6 cups cooked 50/50 rice
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1½ cups brown rice
1½ cups jasmine rice
1. In a large saute pan or wok over medium heat, add oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add garlic and cook slowly to caramalize the garlic about 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the rice and toss to thoroughly mix. Add the sugar and soy sauce, continuing to toss to evenly distribute. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
3. Transfer to large bowl and serve immediately.
1. Rinse 1½ cups brown rice and soak it in fresh cold water to cover for 1 hour. Transfer the rice to a medium saucepan.
2. Put 1½ cups white rice in a large bowl in the sink. Rinse the rice by filling the bowl with cold water and stirring the rice with your hand. Drain and repeat until the water in the bowl is clean. Transfer the rice to the same saucepan.
3. Flatten the rice with your palm and without removing it, add water until it touches the highest knuckle of your middle finger. Cover and boil over high heat for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the rice stand, covered, to plump, for 20 minutes. Stir gently and serve.