1 pound live shrimp
8 cups sake
1.5 cups whole fresh shishito peppers
4 whole fresh togorashi peppers
Canola oil for cooking
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 ripe avocado, cored, cut into 1/4" slices
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 egg, beaten in bowl
2 cups panko crumbs
2 cups rice flour
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
3 tablespoons garlic, minced
3 tablespoons black beans
2 tablespoons butter
Yuzu or lemon zest and juice for garnish
1. Preheat deep fryer to 350 degrees. Preheat grill.
2. Clean and de-vein shrimp. Place in bowl. Cover with sake and lit sit for 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place all peppers in a bowl. Toss with a little canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on hot grill and char all sides until soft. Remove from grill and submerge in ice bath to cool. Peel charred skin off peppers, cut into 1/2 inch slices.
4. Place avocado slices in a bowl. Toss with lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Dip each avocado slice into egg mixture, then into panko crumbs. Continue until all slices are coated. Set aside.
6. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, coriander and chili powder.
7. Strain shrimp from sake, reserving the liquid. Toss shrimp in flour mixture to coat. Place in deep fryer and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
8. Place each piece of coated avocado until hot oil. Cook until golden, brown and delicious, roughly 2-3 minutes. Remove and place on plate lined with paper towels.
9. In a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat, add some canola oil to bottom of the pan and swirl to coat. When oil is hot, add the shallots, garlic and fermented black beans and cook until soft, 1-2 minutes. Add the shrimp and toss to coat with the aromatics.
10. Deglaze the pan with about 1/4 cup of reserved sake marinade. (Be careful when adding liquid to hot pan. Alcohol could flare.) Toss to blend ingredients. Add butter and roasted chiles, tossing again to melt butter and mix. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
11. To plate, divide shrimp pieces into four bowls, being sure to incllude some of the pepper slices. Garnish with a little yuzu zest and juice. Place two slices of panko avocado on top.