1 6-8 oz. crab (Japanese blue crab or watarigani)
1 1/2 cups napa cabbage, cored and cut into 3" slices
1/2 cup leeks, sliced into 3" thin strips
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, thinly sliced
2 packages ramen noodle, unseasoned
1/4 cups chinese lily buds, sliced and blanched
1/4 cups dried scallops, rehydrated in 1/2 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
4 cups chicken stock
7 oz. soy cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup flour
Japanese sansho pepper, as garnish
1. Prepare the crab. Soak the crab in a ice bath. With a cleaver or large chef's knife, chop off the claws and legs. With the back of your knife, then crack the claws.
2. Position crab body on it's back and remove the apron/flap. Then detach the shell from the body and discard the gills and intestines. Cut both the body and shell in half down the center line. Dredge the crab pieces in flour.
3. Heat 1/2 cup of oil in wok. Flash fry the crab pieces until shells turn red, about 1-2 minutes. Remove onto paper towel lined platter to drain.
4. Remove all of oil except 2 tablespoons from the wok, over medium-high heat, add the ginger. Cook for a minute to soften and release flavors. Add leeks and cook to soften. Add Shaoxing to deglaze pan.
5. Add stock and crab, simmering for five-six minutes, skimming the impurities off the surface. Lastly, add the soy cream.
6. Meanwhile, ready a covered dutch oven by placing the cabbage on the bottom of the pan.
7. Pour the cooked hot crab soup into the dutch oven. Cover and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. (Adding more stock, if needed.)
8. While the soup cooks, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the noodles as directed or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
9. A few minutes remaining to cook, add the scallops, their liquid and the lily buds to the Dutch oven. Cook uncovered for three minutes. Final correct with salt and pepper, as needed.
10. Add the noodles and lightly toss to distribute them evenly throughout. Spoon into individual bowls. Garnish with sansho peppers. Serve immediately.