2 bison steaks
2 large bok choy, sliced in half and cored
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2" planks
canola oil (cold pressed from Canada), as needed
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons shichimi togarashi Japanese seasoning
3 shallots, minced
1 bunch scallions, sliced into 1" pieces
1/4 cup red wine
3 tablespoons chunky cranberry chutney
1/2 cup veal glace
1 teaspoon organic soy sauce
1 ounce butter
1. Preheat grill.
2. Oil and season bok choy and sweet potato planks. Place on grill to char both sides, roughly 10 minutes.
3. Season the bison steaks both sides with togarashi and salt. Set aside and bring to room temperature.
4. Remove sweet potato from grill and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Potatoes should still be a little firm. Remove bok choy and set aside, keep warm.
5. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add shallots and scallions. While frequently stirring, cook until soft about 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with wine. Add potato cubes, splash of oil and toss together all ingredients. Continue to cook until the potatoes are soft.
6. In a small sauté pan, add relish and veal glace. Bring to simmer and slightly reduce.
7. Place steaks on the grill and cook roughly 2- 3 minutes per side for rare. Remove from grill and rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
8. Add soy sauce to cranberry mixture and stir. Add butter and whisk until butter is melted and mixture is well blended.
9. To plate, spoon potato hash into center. Place steak slices on top and drizzle with cranberry demi. Serve with bok choy on the side.