1 red bell pepper
2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 small white onion, cut in ¼-inch half-moons
¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
1 pound dark turkey meat (90-92% lean)
½ small jicama, peeled, julienned
juice of half a lime
4 whole wheat Kaiser roll or hamburger buns
¼ cup cilantro leaves
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Roast the red bell pepper over an open flame or under the broiler until all sides are charred. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic film for five minutes to help loosen the skin. Remove the blackened charred skin and remove seeds. Cut into a medium dice and transfer to a bowl.
2. In a small bowl combine the chili powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and salt. Reserve.
3. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat one tablespoon of the canola oil, add the onions, season and cook until caramelized, about ten minutes. Add the onions to the roasted red pepper and mix in the grated cheese with a teaspoon of the spice mixture.
4. Divide the turkey meat in eighths and form eight thin patties. Top the centers of four patties with a tablespoon or two the vegetable-cheese mixture and place remaining patties on top of the mixture. Without overworking the meat, crimp the edges to seal in the mixture.
5.In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add the remaining canola oil. Season the burgers on both sides with the remaining seasoning mix and add to the pan. Flip after four or five minutes and cook on the other side until the burgers are cooked through – to an internal temperature of 165° F – about eight minutes.
6. While the burgers cook, marinate the jicama: In a small bowl, combine the jicama, lime juice and a pinch of salt. Reserve.
7. Scoop out some of the insides of the rolls to make room for veggie toppings. Toast the rolls. To build the burger: place the patty on the toasted roll and top with the tomato slice, reserved jicama and fresh cilantro leaves. Serve with kettle chips.
Trimbach RieslingColor: Beautiful straw color with green edges Bouquet:Fine mineral fragrance with ginger, caraway seed, underripe pineapple and flowers Taste:Flavors of white peach, quince and lemon on the palate with a lingering, clean and dry