1/2 pound mussels, cleaned and rinsed
1/2 pound scallops, muscle removed
1/2 pound clams, cleaned and rinsed
1/2 pound head-on shrimp, cleaned and deveined
6 oz Miatake mushrooms
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup jasmine rice
2/3 cup black tea, lapsung
1 tablespoon whole corriander
3 shallot, sliced thin
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, julienne slice
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup coconut milk
4 cups chicken stock
Fresh togarashi chiles, sliced with seeds included
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon of Korean chile flakes
1 tablespoon lime juice
4 oz. Kobe beef or premium grade meat, sliced paper thin
2 tablespoons canola oil
10 oz. of chrysanthemum leaves
2 packs ramen noodles, unseasoned
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Prepare a foil lined wok on low heat. Mix the rice, tea, corriander and sugar and bring to a low smoldering so tea starts smoking. Place all seafood and mushrooms on banana leaf or Napa cabbage leaf in bamboo steamer and place on wok, covered. Take moistened rag and seal around the steamer to seal. Smoke for 1 minute with the heat on, then turn heat off and smoke for an additional 20 minutes.
2. In a separate stock pot, over medium-high heat, add canola and swirl to coat pan. Add shallots and ginger. Cook for a minute to soften. Add fresh chiles and garlic. Continuing to cook to meld the flavors.
3. Deglaze the pan with fish sauce, being sure to scrape up all of the burnt/caramelized pieces on the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock and bring to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add soy sauce and chile flakes. Soup should now begin to change to a reddish color. Stir to fully incorporate. Add the coconut milk. Check for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Simmer on low.
4. When smoking method is complete, transfer all seafood and mushrooms into the stockpot. Simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Boil ramen noodles, as directed on the package. Drain and set aside.
6. In a large serving bowl, place chrysanthemum leaves on the bottom. Transfer the soup on top of the leaves. Drizzle the lime juice over the top and stir. Add the noodles and evenly distribute.
7. Lay beef slices on top of hot soup and serve immediately.