3 1/2 pounds broccoli
1 3/4 pounds butternut squash
1/2 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorn
7 ounces extra virgin olive oil, with extra to coat broccoli
1/2 cup wild flower honey
1 1/4 cup smoked toasted cashews
1 bunch scallions
5 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 tablespoons Urfa/Turkish chile
kosher salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
7 tablespoons bianco sardo/cows milk cheese/Sardegna, crumbled
7 tablespoons toasted hickory smoked cashews, chopped
red pepper flake, to taste
drizzle extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a hot, well-oiled grill.
2. Toss the butternut squash with honey, oil, Szechuan peppercorns and season to taste. Transfer to sheet tray and roast 60 min until very tender and soft. Remove and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, grill the scallions until tender and well charred. Transfer to a cutting board. Once cool, rough chop the scallions and reserve until ready to puree.
4. To begin the hummus, in a blender, puree the cashews with olive oil until smooth, adding a splash of water if emulsion is broken.
5. Next, in a food processor (or the same blender if large and powerful enough), add the roasted squash, sliced scallions, lemon juice, urfa and cashew puree and blend until smooth hummus consistency is reached. Season with salt & pepper to taste, reserve the hummus until serving.
6. Lightly dress the broccoli with olive oil and season to taste. Grill the broccoli until cooked but still firm, about 4 minutes on each side.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the garnish by first mixing the chopped toasted cashews and bianco sardo. Also toss the grilled broccoli with crushed red pepper and lightly dress with olive oil and a drizzle of honey.
8. Serve the dressed grilled broccoli atop the reserved butternut hummus (best served room temperature.) To finish garnish with chopped cashew & bianco sardo crumble.