1 lb filet mignon, trimmed, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Garlic Ginger Soy Syrup, divided
1 package sizzling rice cakes
5 stalks of green asparagus, bias-cut into 1-inch lengths
1 small red or green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
1 small white onion, cut into 1-inch dice
Grapeseed or canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare a fryer or stockpot filled 1/3 full with oil and heat to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine beef and 2 tablespoons Garlic-Ginger-Soy Syrup. Stir to coat thoroughly and marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, when oil is hot, gently place rice cakes into oil and fry until puffed, about 30 seconds, turning halfway through cooking. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
4. Heat a large sauté pan lightly coated with oil over high heat. Add marinated beef and stir-fry briefly, just until meat is seared on all sides, about 2 minutes. (You will be cooking the meat a second time.) Remove beef to a dish.
5. Lightly coat the same pan with oil over high heat. Add asparagus and cook for about 30 seconds, then add remaining Garlic-Ginger-Soy Syrup, pepper and onion and stir-fry for about 1 minute, coating vegetables with Syrup. Check flavor and season, if necessary.
6. Add beef and stir-fry for about 2 minutes more, until vegetables are tender-crisp and beef is cooked but still medium-rare in center.
7. To serve, arrange sizzling rice cakes on platter and top with filet mignon stir-fry.