1 stick (4 ounces) butter, unsalted
3 Granny Smith apples, small dice
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
juice of one lemon
6 sheets phyllo dough
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 heaping cup fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Vanilla ice cream
1. Have the oven preheated to 375°F convection (or 400°F if using a conventional oven). In a small pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Reserve.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the apples, brown sugar, five-spice powder and lemon juice. Reserve.
3. Form the turnovers: On a clean, dry work surface, spread out a sheet of phyllo dough and using a pastry brush, paint the top of it with butter. Top with a second, brush with butter and repeat with a third sheet. Cut the buttered sheets in lengthwise and place 2 heaping tablespoons apple mixture at one end of the sheet. Bring one of the corners up and begin folding “flag-style,” creating a large triangle. Paint the top of the triangle with butter and continue to fold, painting each new triangle top. Be sure to paint the top triangle. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets to form two more turnovers. Using a sharp pairing knife, make a small slit in the top of each turnover to vent while baking. You can form the turnovers a few hours ahead and hold them in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
4. Place the turnovers on a sheet pan lined with a baking rack and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the turnovers are golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, make the compote: To a small pot over medium heat, add the ginger, cranberries and granulated sugar. Cook until the cranberries release some moisture and the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Reserve to the side to cool.
6. To serve: Plate the turnovers with a scoop of ice cream. Top the ice cream and turnovers with the cranberry compote.
Moscadello di Montalcino100% White Muscat (Moscato). After a rigorous selection process, grapes are soft-pressed and undergo slow fermentation in new French oak barriques until the desired alcohol level is reached. The resulting wine is aged for 12 months in the bottle prior to release. Color: Bright straw color with deep golden reflections. Bouquet: Sweet, powerful aromas typical of Moscadello. Taste: Full and concentrated, with a richness imparted by the high level of residual sugar (11.8% or 118 grams/liter). The sugar is elegantly balanced by a fresh acidity, creating a long and intriguing aftertaste.