5 chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in (7 to 8 ounces each)
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
2 Lap Xuong sausages (Chinese pork sausage), ¼ -inch slices
2 cups oyster mushrooms, separated
1 cup shelled edamame
1 bulb fennel, roughly diced
1 red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 cups orzo, blanched
1 cup baby carrots, cut in ½-inch rings
Freshly chopped chervil to garnish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Season the chicken breast with the salt and red pepper flakes.
2. In a large preheated cast iron pan over high heat, add the chicken thighs, skin-side down. Cook until the fat renders out and skin is golden brown and delicious, about 5 to 6 minutes. Turn chicken over and continue to cook, about 2 minutes more.
3. Transfer the chicken to a plate and reserve. Drain some of the chicken fat into a heat-proof bowl, leaving a little fat in the pan. Add the Chinese sausage, oyster mushrooms, and edamame to the pan. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Add the fennel, red onion, and garlic and sauté until vegetables are lightly colored, about 2 minutes. Add the orzo and carrots to the pan. Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired.
5. Return the chicken to the pan and place in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
6. To plate, make a bed of orzo on large serving platter and place the chicken legs on top. Garnish with chopped chervil.
Chateau de la ChaizeGamay from Brouilly- Beaujolias
Light strawberry aromas add a distinct whiff of toasted white bread. Fruit is more forward on the palate, juicy red berries and a squirt of lemon, and the toasty aromas segue into a plesant earthy minerality to add flavor interest.